It is a role requirement that the job holder must fully support the concept of Child Protection, zero tolerance for fraud and bribery and comply with and promote and live MSI CORE VALUES.
Marie Stopes Zambia (MSZ) seeks a Finance Director to provide strategic financial management, vision and leadership for the country programme while ensuring compliance with all local accounting, legal, MSI group and donor reporting requirements.
The role also contributes to furthering MSI’s mission: Children by Choice not Chance.
No. of Direct Reports: Up to 5
Reporting to: Country Director
Budget Responsibilities (Y/N): Y
The Finance Director acts as a business partner to the Country Director (CD) ensuring that all financial risks and projected returns are considered and robustly evaluated when making strategic and operational decisions.
The Finance Director is responsible for supporting the Senior Management Team (SMT) to achieve sustainable growth through improved financial management to drive the organisation’s performance.
The Finance Director is the final authority for all accounting matters within the organisation and must ensure Marie Stopes International’s (MSI) Group Financial policies are implemented while observing the needs of the country programme’s local statutory requirements.
The Finance Director must build and maintain a motivated and productive local finance team capable of implementing MSI’s strategy Scaling Up Excellence, developing proper monitoring and follow-up systems to ensure financial sustainability and providing advice and support to the programme on financial management.
Provide strategic and functional leadership as part of the management team
- Deliver sustainable business growth through the adoption of commercial business practices (as part of the SMT).
- Provide financial analysis to help drive strategic planning and aid the development of the annual business plan. The financial analysis should cover business strategies, new products and services, and key service channels and donor relationships and should highlight financial returns and sustainability as well as the service impact.
- Provide ideas and influence to expand our social business, both private and public sector initiatives, and drive improvement of key efficiency areas.
- Define and track financial indicators that will improve the cost efficiency of MSZ operations and advise the SMT of the impact on each channel.
- Support the Operations Director (or equivalent) in the development and maintenance of robust systems to capture operational data.
- Be accountable for the maintenance of the anti-fraud and bribery programme in country and for the maintenance of control systems to prevent fraud or to mitigate its impact.
Devise accurate, realistic and inclusive budgets for MSI’s global programme, for donor funding bids and for sub-departments
- Prepare annual operational and capital budgets to guide and plan the optimal use of MSZ’s and donors’ resources to achieve the organisation’s objectives and maximise impact.
- Monitor and manage expenditure trends and provide timely advice and analysis of potential over or under spends to the SMT and budget holders, to allow managers to make required adjustments to meet financial goals.
- Monitor programme support costs and ensure MSZ is maximising on cost efficiencies and recoveries.
- Provide annual training and continuous support to the SMT, budget holders and project managers to ensure proper understanding, ownership of and engagement with financial results and programme budgets.
- Provide sound financial advice to the country director, the programme board, and other SMT colleagues as appropriate.
Oversee and ensure financial systems, procedures and reports, that enable efficient and compliant use of MSZ funds and assets
- Interpret financial data, provide financial advice to solve complex financial problems.
- Coordinate financial reporting, briefing with donors, MSI and government entities. Prepare donor financial reports in line with donor reporting requirements and standards.
- Ensure organisational internal controls and systems are maintained and adhered to, identifying key risk areas and addressing them.
- Ensure any changes in legislation or organisational structure are reflected without delays in internal controls and systems. Maintain an effective control structure.
- Provide technical financial staff training where necessary to ensure understanding and compliance with MSI global financial policies.
Effective management and oversight of MSZ working capital, investments and financial obligations
- Oversee cash flow management and forecasting to ensure that adequate funds are available for programme needs. Monitor the cash requirements and amounts drawn down against programmatic requirements.
- Manage investments, debtors, creditors and advances from local donors and their accurate recording and regular monthly reconciliation on the Balance Sheet. Ensure that working capital is managed efficiently and proactively.
- Ensure that all statutory requirements are met on time, including payroll taxes, VAT (sales tax), income tax, pensions or other retirement obligations, insurance etc. Ensure that the programme complies with all regulatory requirements of local statutory bodies.
- Ensure contractual obligations are financially sound and appropriate for the organisation.
- Be accountable for the safeguarding of the country programme’s assets.
Responsible for accurate and timely group reporting, while dealing with internal and external auditors
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and submission of the organisation’s monthly financial management accounts.
- Ensure compliance with the financial components of the MSI Partnership manual and with the group finance manual.
- Coordinate preparation of statutory accounts and annual audit in line with group reporting timetables.
- Ensure full compliance with all donor compliance requirements.
- Prepare donor financial reports in line with donor reporting requirements and standards
- Liaise with internal audit and external auditors.
Leadership of a team that is developing and improving continuously
- Lead and manage members of the finance team to build their capacity and strengthen competency and professional development.
- Conduct regular team performance appraisals, monitoring progress and setting objectives.
- Review the operational structure of the finance department to ensure that all roles and responsibilities are relevant to the needs and demands of the country programme.
- Demonstrable experience in a leadership role for a large division or company.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution of plans to achieve objective and targets.
- Demonstrated success in formulating policy, and development and implementing strategies and procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of financial management systems and reporting.
- Hands-on experience with computerised Accounting Systems; Knowledge of Sun Systems is desirable.
- Knowledge of donor contract requirements for budgeting and reporting.
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level government and donor officials.
- Experience of working with colleagues in geographically separate locations.
- Fluency in English.
Qualifications and Training (essential/desirable)
- Qualified Accountant (essential).
- Degree-educated or equivalent (essential).
- Current with any necessary donor-specific training requirements (specifically but not exclusively this applies to USAID) (essential that this is achieved within 6 months of joining and then maintained).
- Strategic thinker, excellent analytical skills.
- Strong results orientation.
- Excellent leadership and management aptitude leading diverse teams at a distance.
- Interest in public health, particularly sexual and reproductive health.
- Flexibility to operate in a changing environment.
- Able to communicate effectively (both written and oral) at all levels.
- Cross-functional team player.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications is Friday 3rd August, 2018.