Upon request of the supervisor, the driver can also be required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the country office, consultants and experts and other UN staff on mission.
Summary Of Key Functions
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicles
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/supplies
- Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of the UN Resident Coordinator or UNDP Resident Representative, other high-ranking officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and b) meetings official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-saving through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Ability to account for resources placed under one’s care and responsibility
Creative Problem Solving
- Being able to solve problems leading to team cohesion and optimization of performance
- Ability to effectively engage stakeholders
- Ability to focus on professional ethics and integrity
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Leading by Example
- Walking the talk and using the power of influence to effect positive change
Respect for Diversity
- Observes diversity in racial, tribal, religious and sexual orientation
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Full Grade 12 Certificate with passes in English and Mathematics.
- A certificate in Automotive Mechanics and Basic First Aid is an added advantage.
- Valid SADC driver’s license is required.
- A minimum of 5 years work experience as a driver. Previous experience working with a UN agency is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of basic driving rules and regulations and the Zambia Highway Code is required.
- Demonstrable skills in carrying out minor vehicle repairs are necessary. Prior experience working as a driver/clerk in an international, national or NGO office is required.
- Work experience with the UN or other international institutions with stringent accountability rules would be an asset.
- Must have a good command of written and spoken English. Knowledge of the local language(s) of the duty station will be a functional advantage.
- Defensive driving skills are an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant Information About UNDP Rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here